Saturday, December 4, 2010

Knee-d Some Help?

Last night, I danced for 40 minutes, earning 4 AP+s and hurting my knee. Again. I know, it's been one long knee-hurting fest for me since October's Zumba incident. It hurts probably one or two days a week, but only if I dance or something.

Let me back up a little. Some of you don't know this. I've always had trouble with my right knee. It hurts a lot if its put in any one position for more than a few hours. I have to stretch it out or it will become so painful. When I was about 17ish, I finally went to a chiropractor to see what the dealio was. He took some xrays and it turns out my kneecap is not in its "groove"


http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00297


See the patella? That beige piece in the middle? That's the knee cap. The white part is where its sits, it has a natural groove in it. My knee cap is about an inch to the right of its natural resting place. This means that my knee grinds a lot. Bending down especially makes it sound like it is wrenching. There are exercises I can do, and used to do all the time, and it really helped. 

I have started doing them again. There is a muscle attached to the patella (not pictured) on the inside that when you bike, or extend your leg to a 45 degree angle works that muscle out. I need to do those again. 

I am also thinking of going to the chiropractor again and having it adjusted. That's the nice thing about insurance- you can do the things you want or need to do. I'm sure regular exercise will help too. I vaguely recall my last chiropractor telling me if I lost weight I would have less of a problem.... I weighed 175 at the time. I can't imagine what he would say now. Something along the lines of "get your fat ass moving" I suppose. 

Just 7 more posts until my Vlog Spectacular. It's exciting, isn't it?? Paula wants me to cook. Will I? You can guarantee that food will be in my vlog! And if there is food, there is cheese. Its one of the rules. I have it all planned out. It will be a lot of fun!

2 comments:

  1. I went to a chiropractor for help with my knee when I injured it a few years ago. He was able to take care of it when my doctor couldn't do a thing! I'm looking forward to the vlog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you felt lots better when you went to chiropractor i remember i use to yell at you to go again lol

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!