Friday, June 4, 2010

Cooking and Shopping

I havent been (proper) grocery shopping in a few weeks now. I usually end up going to the store on a whim ("Hey, Im in the mood for xyz! Let's go to the store and I'll cook!")

I really want to sit down and make a comprehensive list of things I would like to have in the home so I can make my meals whenever I fancy. But I dont have that kind of money to buy EVERYTHING I want, so I will have to make a regular list with a little bit of the stock up on extras thrown in.

I'm really into making my own whatever now. I like making my own sauces for spaghetti and lasagna, I love making my own chili spices, I love making my own cheddar cheese biscuits (similar to the ones in Red Lobster haha)

I love shredding my own cheese, chopping my own peppers and onions and garlic. I even zested a lemon once. I love making my own cheese sauce for macaroni. I like making casseroles. Oh this woman can cook. Ask anyone I have cooked for and they will let you know this girl has got it goin' ON!

Lately I have been in the mood to roast things. Corn. Peppers. Tomatoes.
I have also been in the mood for some fresh ingredients, like my salad, and other fruits and veggies. Yes veggies. Amazing how one's tastes can change. I am slowly getting into other veggies mostly like my darker greens for salads but also find carrots to be appetizing in small amounts.

I also want a slap chopper. Have you seen these things? They are awesome. My mom has one and uses it for everything, from chopping onion and peppers to cheese to egg to even getting ground meat to a uniform consistency. (Thats only because my dad is a big baby and likes everything finely chopped)


I have to compile a list of meals I would like to have and also I need some convenience items, especially to snack on when I am feeling peckish. I want raspberries. I love them when they are mixed or juiced, but cant stand the seeds. I want to be able to eat them whole eventually. I love the tart aftertaste they have. Seeds are a nuisance.

I completely lost the plot of this post.

3 comments:

  1. You are very fortunate to have the cooking gene. I love cooking too and being a recipe creator. From a gender perspective, you'd think women are natural cooks, but I've spoken to many who can't cook, are afraid to cook, or won't cook anything unless they have an exact recipe to follow. This is pretty much my wife...I do 95% of the cooking...99% really.

    In short, you are blessed to have some mad kitchen skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I've had garlic, onion, peppers, lemons, etc, at home regularly for the last couple of months. I think I'm more likely to cook when I have things to actually prepare. I love using those things!

    (And I make a killer tomato sauce and meatballs!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally alike you. I also like cooking and even grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!