Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Orthotics

I am so happy! Today my orthotics came in the mail! Yippee!! I don't think I mentioned this, or maybe I have, but this will be my third pair.

I had a pair when I was 12 or 13. They were this ugly, bitter yellow color. I got these to first "force" an arch into my left foot and help correct and alleviate some of the pain that I was feeling from walking. At the end of the school year one year, I left these hated shoes in my locker and they were thrown away. Boy was my mother pissed when she found out.

After my first surgery, it was deemed necessary for orthotics again. Luckily I was off the hook about losing the last ones, because my doctor said they wouldn't work, since they were designed for my pre-surgery foot.

These too, lasted a few years before I fell out of favor with them.

My knee wasn't really an issue during the times I was wearing them but it was because they forced an arch out of my right ankle.

I think that while I will probably always loathe orthotics, it is now painfully clear that I need them. It's either that or surgery. Let's go the non-invasive route this time, shall we?

My orders are to start out wearing them 1 hour today, then 2 hours tomorrow, and then 3 on Friday, so on and so forth, and basically wear them whenever I put shoes on. Since I work at home, however, I rarely have shoes on, but I will make doubly sure I wear them each day, and try and wear them while I am working. I will have to pretend its an office job, I guess :)

Have I mentioned how lucky I am to have insurance and a health savings account to pay for this? It'd be really expensive otherwise. Thank you, husband's employer, for having such great benefits. Thankfully I have a job that is extremely flexible so I can take the time to take care of myself, both medically and in my life style.

What exciting thing made your day today? Share!

1 comment:

  1. ooh can´t even imagine what it would be without insurance so yay!!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!