Thursday, February 24, 2011

Movers, Inc!

My biggest problem with this apartment we live in hasn't been the location. It's great. It hasn't been the rent- it's reasonable. It's been the neighbors we are sandwiched between. 

Two old German ladies, who despise each other and every one else. One lives across the hall from us and the other in the next building (we share a wall with her). 

In the past 3 years, we have been verbally abused by both of these women. Harassed, harangued, you name it. One of them actually threatened to black mail us. I don't know what she thought she had to black mail us with, but it was over a parking spot. The other has told everyone that I plan to kill her, because I didn't say hi to her while she was in her car with tinted windows. Sorry lady, I don't care enough about you to even say hello, so why would I exert effort in trying to kill you? I honestly can't make this up.

Crazy German Neighbor, as she is known on Facebook and to family and friends, yells about everything. She complained about the road being too small then when they expanded it, she complained about that too. She complained that she broke her feet and then complained that the medical company wanted her to pay for her foot braces. She's complained about every neighbor we have in the building to my face, so I know she complains about me too. 

This last month was heaven though, she had gone away to Florida for a whole month. While she was gone, everyone was friendly. We all chatted and laughed, and the world was a little brighter. Brian and I caught ourselves saying "why did we want to move, again?" 

But one dark, rainy night, she came back. She immediately began to yell and scream (this time at her husband,  for not hobbling fast enough with her luggage) and then spent the rest of the night cleaning the carpets in the building. I am not making this shit up.

She also hates dogs. Ever since we brought Max home, she's glared, grimaced, and slammed doors in our face. If she's on her way to leave and she sees Max coming up the stairs, she runs back in her apartment, slamming the door. I caught her doing it more than once. Batty old lady.

But today she took it one step further. She called the office today and told them my dog was tracking in feces everywhere. We were in direct violation of our pet policy, but we had 24 hours to contest the complaint. And I contested. I told the owner that, no, there was not dog poo all over the hallway. There was mud from when the snow melted, and that got tracked all over, but I couldn't really do anything about that. I told her that I picked up his poo diligently and that Brian did, too. And once she heard my case, she remembered. "Oh you are the couple with that sweet lab puppy. Yeah we know you wouldn't do that. The complaint is removed from your file and we will send a cleaning lady to clean the hall for you"

I then told her how relieved I was, and I knew who it was who complained, she didn't have to worry about that. I told her how much trouble we have had with this particular neighbor and that she just drives us crazy. How she swore up and down I wanted to kill her, how she reads the notices left on the doors, how she snoops in everyones windows and digs through the trash. I said that we were happy she was gone on vacation but now we were miserable again. 

And then something miraculous happened. They offered to move us to a different building. And I accepted. We are moving the first week of March, a few buildings over. Hurray!!

Hallelujah!! Huzzah!! 

Hopefully we wont have any more trouble with our new neighbors! I have spent the most of the morning getting information on the new apartment, calling friends and family to force them to help us move, and spent some time figuring out how to transfer our utilities with minimum interruptions. I also have been doing laundry and sorting through clothes.

1 comment:

  1. at first it was funny, but then as i continued to read the woman got more and more batshit crazy. glad y'all are moving! :))

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!