Sunday, January 11, 2009

Wedding Bells

As you know I am engaged (or rather psychotic, because who goes around calling someone their fiance when they aren't?) and we had planned to get married in August of 2010. For a few reasons.... we got together in August and it's the halfway point between our birthdays (literally the day we got together, lol)

He wanted traditional wedding: church, close friends and fam only.
I was afraid I would burn in said church. I'm not a church goer or a follower of the herd, or anything nonsensical like that, but I don't blame others who do. It's your life, right?

I wanted to elope. 

Mom suggested Vegas. She offered to buy (in front of his parents who are a bit on the conservative side.) We were thrilled, they were not. They told him he needed to, and I quote, "be the man of the relationship and get married in our church." 

This irked me a little. it's OUR wedding. They had theirs. Can't we do what we want? (Vegas!) 
Apparently it irked the Fiance too. In fact, he hasn't spoken to them unless he absolutely had to. We had a conversation about this one day, more or less this is how it went.

Him: They're dumb
Me: They're your parents and it's what they believe? 
Him: Still. Dumb. Why can't we do what we want?
Me: Yeah, we can. What do you want to do?
Him: Have your mom pay.
Me: *giggles* ok
Him: *chuckle* Yeah sounds great.

A few weeks go by and the subject of marriage comes up again. We decided we would get married in the courthouse (woo!) soon. I asked my best friend to come up that day and be our witness (because she would be upset if she wasn't there)

Oh, and he's taking my last name. 

Let's see, not only are we not getting married in a church, but we aren't even having a 'real' wedding. Then we're still hitting Vegas (someday) annnnnnd I'm not even taking his name. Awesome. Yep, we did our darndest to annoy them. 

Oh well. If he isn't concerned, then I'm not concerned. 

1 comment:

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!