Monday, March 29, 2010

Winning at Losing

Went to Barnes and Noble today picked up Jillian Michaels' "Winning at Losing" book.
I had to buy it because, firstly, it's about empowering yourself and this is a battle we all struggle with, me especially.

The first few pages talk about commitment. If you can't commit to yourself and a positive life change then this book isn't for you. If you are looking for a quick fix, this book isn't for you. If you aren't willing to put in blood, sweat and tears... well come back when you are. Strong words.

The first exercise is on creating a goal list. Not just any goal list. An ultimate goal list with rewards. Complete with Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Long term goals.

I actually wrote mine down in a notebook, but I'll share it with you.

Long term Goal

  • To lose 100 pounds
Long term Reward
  • Bahamas!
  • Bikinis
  • Shopping spree
Monthly Goal (April)
  • I will lose 6 lbs this month
  • I will add in my veggies
  • I will try one new fruit
  • I will do the entire Level 1 of 30 Day Shred without quitting.
Monthly Reward (April)
  • I will put $10 in a jar for every pound and inch lost this month.
  • I will get a manicure
  • I will buy new makeup
Weekly Goals (Mar 29-Apr 4)
  • I will do 30 Day Shred three times this week
  • I will lose 1.5 lbs this week.
  • I will not eat out this week.
Weekly Rewards
  • I will get new music for my iPhone.
  • I will crochet one hour a day.
  • I will read for 3 hours this week.
Daily Goal
  • 30 Day Shred
  • Make dinner at home.
Daily Reward
  • Take a long shower and use my favorite body lotion :)
Every day I will make a new daily goal, and make sure I work towards my weekly goals as well.

Then there were some self-talk questions. I had fun answering these, even if it was hard.

1. Do you have a negative self-image?

Yes, often I feel as though I am not "good enough" or I don't deserve what I have (ie my husband, not sure how I got so lucky) I am lazy, I am loud, annoying, and a bitch. I don't know what to say to others and I often feel like I have put my foot in my mouth or that I offend others. I don't feel like I belong. And I am fat.

2. Do you lack self confidence?
Yes. To be honest I have been very delusional. But I think it also helps because I believe it. It honestly depends on the day. The hour. The minute.

3. Do you feel powerless?
I wouldnt say powerless, but I am afraid. I am afraid of failing. I am afraid that I can't do anything that I put my mind to because I don't have the motivation. I am afraid that I fail others. I am afraid of pity.

4. Do you label yourself in negative ways?
Yes I often refer to myself as a Beluga Whale. A) I like the word beluga and 2) I know I am fat and I don't want others to say it first.

5. How is negativity serving/helping you?
It isn't. It reminds me that I know I am fat, and I don't want anyone to think that I am pretentious.

Ouch. Now you have to ask the same questions but answer them positively. This was a bit more difficult for me.

1. Do you have a negative self-image?
No. I realize that I will never be perfect or live up to unrealistic standards. All my flaws and each one of my extra pounds is part of who I am and it does not inhibit me. I will embrace them because it makes me unique.

2. Do you lack self confidence?
No. I ooze it out of every pore. I have a college degree, married the most loving, wonderful husband and I have an amazingly supportive family.

3. Do you feel powerless?
No. In a few short weeks I have changed my body. In 4 Weeks I have lost 13" total. I am capable and able to do anything that I set my mind to.

4. How do you label yourself?
Geek. Housewife. Obsessive blogger. Cook. Lucky.

5. How is this positivity serving you?
Fantastically. It makes me realize everything I have going for me and that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to.

And that was just the first four chapters. I was in tears at the bookstore reading this. I knew I had found something worthwhile. I will do what I want. I will lose 100 lbs. I will go to the Bahamas. I will not make excuses.

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I know you'll do great, just as you already are!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This rocks. I think I need to get this book as well. thanks for posting and for being honest with yourself and all of us. Keep winning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its brutal being honest with yourself. I feel like I need a nap now LOL
    Thank you Lisa you always have a kind word to say :)

    PS: I devoured that book. I read the whole thing today. In less than 8 hours. Yep. I'm just that good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I am also creating a list like you (I was up 2.8 lbs this week--aack!!). Also, I like how your rewards aren't food based!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!