Friday, April 9, 2010

Avoiding a Plateau

Its all a numbers game. To lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you put in. We all know that. Let's look at my numbers for this example, shall we?

To maintain my current weight, I need to consume 2395 calories a day. That means in a week I consume 16,800 calories. To lose a lb a week, I need to create a deficit of 3500 or 500 a day, which brings my total to 1895 a day. If I want to lose 2 lbs a week that would be a deficit of 7000 (3500*2) which would be a deficit of 1000 a day bringing me to 1395.

I hear you saying, yes yes we get all that but what does that have to do with plateau-ing anyway? You arent even skinny, why tell us this shit, how is it going to help, yadayadayada blah blah blah.

It's simple. If you consume your 1400 calories a day, every day, after a while, your body freaks out and goes into starvation mode, hording all the calories and storing fat. Yes, I know you know this. Wheres the solution??

Here it is: No one said that you have to only consume an equal amount of calories every day to create your deficit needed to lose the weight you desire. I will say that again: NO ONE SAID THAT YOU MAY ONLY HAVE 1400 DAILY TO LOSE 2 LBS A WEEK.

But.. but that doesnt make sense! YES IT DOES.

Lets take it back to basic math, shall we? When you were little, you learned that 2+2=4 right? Well thats not the only way to get 4. You can also do 1+3, 5-1, and 6-2. 2x2 is even 4. 4+0? 4!

The point being, that no matter how you get your deficit, you can switch up your calorie intake days and still come up with your needed amount.

Here's what I have started doing, it also helps me not feel as hungry and lets me think I am "splurging" a little.

Monday: 1200 calories
Tuesday: 1200
Wednesday: 1400
Thursday: 1400
Friday: 1400
Saturday: 1600
Sunday: 1600
= 9800 calories
16800-7000=9800 calories to lose 2 lbs a week!

This keeps your body guessing, never knowing whether or not today is a low cal day or a bit of a high cal day, and you still have all the calories you need to burn. This is not including exercise, this is just FOOD calories only! So if you BURN an extra 500 a day, you may want to eat an extra 500, or else you could be depriving your body of the energy it actually needs. If you dont have any fuel then your body goes into starvation mode, no matter how much you exercise.

Women should never ever ever eat less than 1200 a day, more so if you are breastfeeding or pregnant, and men shouldn't eat less than 1600 a day (the bastards! I mean, lucky bastards! LOL)

If you are still having trouble with a plateau ask yourself these questions:

Q) Am I eating too much salt?
A) Cut or limit your salt intake to 1500mg a day for three weeks. For reference, one package of ramen noodles has over 1800mg of salt! Are you eating a lot of processed foods? Then you are getting too much salt!

Q) Are you drinking too much water?
A) Water can make you feel fuller but it is also something you have to consider, not to mention there are dangers of overhydration (which can be fatal, fyi) Drink your 8- 8oz a day, and dont forget that if you are drinking tea, coffee, or soda, that counts as a fluid intake.
*Note: for my age range, 20-25, women should be 50% hydrated. I sit somewhere around 41% so I am a little dehydrated on average.

All of the information contained in the blog is from Jillian Michaels' Winning at Losing It book, and should not be taken seriously without the consultation of your physician. Hey, I am just sharing some food for thought, don't hold me responsible!
Talk to your doc!


As for today:

I am on a strict 1200 calorie diet today, as I basically splurged all week, going to make it up on the weekend. I have also completed day 2 of my 30 Day Shred challenge. I am so tired and sore! All the sit ups I did yesterday killed me during the ab workout section of the Dvd today! Also: I am getting better at modified pushups. I think when I can do a regular pushup, I will switch to workout tier 2.
The bicycle crunch is killer, and also the very last thing on the workout and I am not able to do all of them and have a sloppy form, I have to work on that. I will still do my 125 crunches tonight too.

My milestone will be getting into Onederland at 199 lbs. Then I will have lost a total of 38.5 lbs! YAY Lose it says if I stick to my calorie plan I will reach my goal by June 28th, but I am thinking I can do it sooner if I stick with 30 Day Shred.

1 comment:

  1. Keep it up!! Your on your way!!... and when you do get there... save me a seat :)

    I've just got caught up on your progress because of the switchover. (I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes Hahaha). I was wondering why your updates wern't showing up!

    Thanks for your comments on my blog. Sometimes us ladies need the extra support ;)

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!