Sunday, April 25, 2010

What Bike Rides Have Taught Me

I have been sitting on this idea since our last bike ride and I am pleased to say it translates well into real life.

On our bike ride, going up hill was hard work, even though it was a slight hill. I would curse, pedal harder and complain that I should have bought a mountain bike anyway.

But as I stopped at the crest of the small hill, one thing floated into my mind, and sat there, fixed and shining:


The hardest part about stopping is getting started again.

And it was true. It took more effort for me to stop and start again, than it did to keep going (I field tested it lol)

Its also true in life, especially weight loss. Its easy to stop tracking. To think oh I dont need to. But I really do. And the longer I quit doing it, the more tedious it was to pick up again. Im proud to say I am tracking everything that has passed my lips today. Its not even that hard either.

In fact, BEFORE it passes my lips, it gets put into my iPhone. I think that is how I have to do it. Anyone have any better apps for the iPhone? I tried Fatsecret and couldnt get the hang of it, also tried Lose it! and that one sucks too. I'll just have to type it all in manually I suppose.

Monday hoping to get the Curvesmart tag, then I can see how much I really burn! Looking at the website it said that larger members (me) would start out by only burning 125-175 calories in half an hour, while fitter members (not me) would burn as much as 500, according to a study they did.

This was also while they followed the Curves diet.

I am not on the Curves diet nor do I really feel the need to start it. I am just a pig, an overeater. I just need to trim portion sizes and get used to it. also eat slower. I inhale my food. Like a vacuum.

I made a great lunch, quick and easy. In fact I call it Quick and Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken

3 oz of cooked chicken breast strips, chopped in bite size pieces- 100 calories
1 cup Uncle Bens instant white rice-200 calories
1 large egg- 70 calories
2 Tbsp Kikkoman Sweet and Sour sauce- 35 calories

Scramble and cook the egg while you are microwaving the 90 sec pouch of rice. Add (half) rice to the skillet along with chicken strips, cook until heated through.
Plate it and then drizzle with sauce. Ta da!

Now I made this for hubby too, so I used a 6oz bag of chicken and the whole two cups of rice, but I portioned mine out as I plated it and gave the rest to hubby. Add 1 Tbsp of Reduced Sodium Soy sauce (10 cals) if you want.

Yields: 1 or 2 servings, depending.
Calories: 405
Satisfying: ****1/2

Its not quite real chinese food but its delicious none the less and satisfied the craving. Also only takes 5-7 minutes, max.

1 comment:

  1. Great analogy to your bike ride....that'll keep you mentally strong...good post.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!