Friday, May 7, 2010

Mouth Breather...

I have been noticing lately that I am a mouth breather, but only at night. From what I've read this is fairly normal.

I also breath heavily through my mouth when I exercise hard, and this is erm bad. I guess. I dunno. I just googled it. Seriously.

Anyway this article states that if you are working out too hard and breathing through your mouth then you are no longer doing aerobic exercise, that is, using fat as fuel. You are anaerobic, using sugars to fuel your body. Hmmm. But how will I work out harder if I am limited to being a nose breather?

Apparently its like anything else, it takes time to build it up. Sure you may go slower at first, but eventually, your body will catch up to you. I always wondered if there was actual science behind it and not just some crystal gripping nonsense from hippie runners. No offense to runners, but its not something I am physically capable of or even want to entertain. Running sucks. I couldnt if my life depended on it. Seriously. Not because I am a fattie, even when I was skinny I couldnt run longer than a few moments before I got sharp, shooting pain in my ankle.

As you breathe through your nose, your body is regulating the amount of carbon dioxide in the blood. The faster you exhale this, the more your blood vessels constrict, therefore cutting out oxygen to vital organs and muscles.

But, but but.... I am a mouth breather! What do I do! Simple, breathe through pursed lips. Like something is hot, or you are about to whistle. Also, cold air apparently is not good. It takes extra energy to warm it up, if you breath through your mouth hole as opposed to your nose hole, and while you would think, hey burning extra calories, its wasted energy.

Food for thought. I guess I will try to keep my yapper shut while I work out. As for the sleeping thing, well, the only thing is I drool. A lot. Good thing I have my own pillow lol

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I do the same thing--I didn't know it was a bad thing to do. Weird to say, but sometimes it's hard to focus on proper breathing especially during circuit training. Hey, but at least we are doing the right thing by being at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol those biggest losers are all mouth breathers
    they are all gah gasp huh gag puke the entire time oh unless they are boohooing and they lose

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!