Monday, August 16, 2010

The Biggest Loser Workout DVD Review


I received the Biggest Loser Workout Vol. 1 (rated 3.5/5 stars Netflix, 4.1/5 stars Amazon)
in the mail via Netflix the other day and popped it into the XBOX 360 today to give it a shot. The dvd has some inspirational stories from the 1st season contestants and includes customizable workouts. It's a 6 week dvd and you alternate 2 workouts 6 times a week.

For instance, the first week is 6 days a week. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday is a Low Impact Cardio workout, which I did today, and on the other days its Strength and Sculpt.

Week 2 is High Intensity Cardio and Boot Camp. You alternate these as well.

Week 3 & 5 is the same as Week 1. Week 4 & 6 is the same as week 2.

You also get the option to completely customize a work out from warm up to cool down, where you can add in any of the workouts that you like or all of them.

It's hosted by Bob Harper and some of the contestants from Season 1 (unfortunately I don't recognize any of them) Bob's philosophy is a little different from Jillian's. While she yells at you and pushes you to go harder faster come on do it you lazy ass no wonder you're so fat, Bob is more like Just do what you can if you cant do it this way you can do it that way there you go just keep moving yay you did it happy gay man voice weeee.

Also it helps seeing the contestants do it and struggle too. It worked me out a lot harder than I thought it would. I was sweating like a pig, and I still am. It was all low impact cardio, like lunges and squats and cardio boxing (squeal!!) as well as some kicking. Reminded me a little of Tae Bo which is probably why I liked it so much.

It gets your heart racing and your blood pumping, I feel really great after, and it doesnt take long to get your heart up but you aren't doing anything stupid or complicated, like dance moves or balancing, things I can't do anyway! It's all very simple movements and Bob is very encouraging. If you cant manage to step back, step forward, kick, punch punch, then he says do what you can, even if its just step forward, step back, just KEEP MOVING.

Its hard to compare to 30 Day Shred. I like both workouts. While Jillian's does strength, cardio, and ab work all in one workout, in circuit training, Bob's workout does one thing the whole time, whether it's cardio or sculpting, or bootcamp.

I've only done the low impact cardio today, but I kid you not- YOU WILL SWEAT. You will sweat hard, you will breath hard, and you will be crying when you are done. I'm nervous about the high impact cardio, but I will give it a shot. If it turns out I am unable to do it due to stress on my ankle then I will just do the low impact cardio. I'm not ashamed.


If you don't want to spend the money on the workouts on Amazon or wherever, you can try Netflix. If you haven't heard of it or tried it, it's a great DVD/Blu-ray rental system where you can get as many as 8 dvds out at a time and send them back to exchange or keep them as long as you want for one flat monthly rate. You can upgrade or downgrade any time, cancel any time, and you can get unlimited Instant Streaming to your computer or TV if you have a compatible device. I highly recommend it. You can get all of the work outs you have been meaning to try (with the exception of P90x/Insanity, however I did find Get Extremely Ripped: 1000, which claims to burn 1000 calories in an hour.)

I have added all of Jillian's workouts and all of Bob's too. I find it's nice that way I don't go out and buy a dvd just to figure out I can't do half the crap on it because I have the coordination of a drunken moose or it's 20 minutes of jumping jacks and butt kicks and I fracture my ankle. It's also always exciting to get something in the mail that isn't a bill or spam :D Wait... is it called spam if it's snail mail? or was it junk mail? I can't remember.

If you asked me to rate it, which you didn't but I am going to anyway, I'd give it a 3.8 out of 5. It's a great workout. I can't wait to try tomorrow's.

Also in other news, completely unrelated: I tried two new veggies yesterday. I'm working on the blog and I took pics too, so Weeeeee! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. I've actually had this DVD sitting in a drawer for over a year. Maybe it's time to bust it out and give it a try! Thanks for the nudge. ;)

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!