Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I Felt Dumb

I wanted to go on a bike ride so bad yesterday, while we still had some "summer" weather around. Getting our bikes out and around is kind of a huge chore. We live on the second floor so there is a lot of lifting involved as we go up and down stairs and our bikes are beach cruisers meaning they weight 400 lbs each (exaggeration, they actually weigh 45-55, mine's lighter)

We had been considering not a month ago on getting rid of the bikes, as it was "too hard" to ride them. We thought they were just heavy as they were cruisers. Turns out, the tires were just way too under inflated.

The conversation went like this:

Me: I want to go bike riding
Him: Me too
Me: Let's go!
Him: OK!
*pulling bikes off balcony*
Me: Eww they are all dirty from all the construction!
*grabs towel to wipe them off*
Him: I want to check the tires. They look a little low on air.
Me: UGH again they are fine come on
Him: they are a little low
Me: This is why I hate bikes all this waiting and pumping... it's stupid. I don't even want to go anymore.
Him: don't be like that, it will only take a minute.
Me: ....do you even know what the psi has to be?
Him: I think it's like 30 or something.
Me: Don't you have a thingy? To check it? That silver thing that has the measurements? (I am so mechanically inclined)
Him: Somewhere, why? *continues pumping*
Me: I know it's around here somewhere. *rustles around in desk* Aha!
Me: Do you know how much air to put in?
Him: Uhmmm...... *looks at tire* Oh here we go! 50 psi it says.
Me: Check your pressure now
Him: Ok *checks pressure* it's 20.
Me: BAHAHA you got a ways to go
Him: Wow it was really low, good thing I checked!
Me: Ok while you do yours, I will check mine then we can go.
Him: Ok
*I check mine*
Him: What's yours at
Me: FIVE
Him: What? five?
Me: Yes 5 PSI. Its a wonder my tires didn't burst from underinflation with my fat ass on there.
Me: I'm checking my back tire.
Me: OMG my back tire is so low it didnt even register. It's 0!!! WTH
Him: HAHAHA ok I will fill yours too.

15 minutes later (we have a hand pump had to sweat to make it work haha) we are out and riding around.

Me: WOW how great this is so easy!
Him: I know I was freaking out we had forgotten how to ride a bike!
Me: We should read the instructions more often!
Him: Yeah! And bike more often too!
Me: This is so easy!
Him: I was really worried I was out of shape!
Me: Weeeeee weeee weeeeeeeeeee!

It was the best bike ride ever, friends. It was actually a lot of fun to ride and I enjoyed the wind in my hair and being outside for a little while. We were gone 40 minutes and I burned 216 calories. I pedaled for all I was worth a few times. It was a lot easier going up hills and gaining momentum. Who would have thought tire pressure would be so critical? Now I just need to check the tires on my car.....

4 comments:

  1. happy to hear you had a great ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tire pressure makes a huge difference! What a funny story. I'm glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)
    couple biking = adorable.
    i miss biking - haven't done it in forever!
    spinning classes aren't as good as the real thing.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!