Thursday, November 18, 2010

I'm Bluffin' with My Muffin

No this isn't Lady Gaga lyrics-fest. I actually made my own English Muffins today. I went to the store and picked up the ingredients:

-Thomas English muffins 100 cal/1g fat/8g fiber per muffin
-Meijer brand Canadian bacon 60 cal/1.5g fat/0 fiber per 3 slices (I only used one per sandwich)
-Meijer brand fat free American cheese slices 30 cal/0 fat/0 fiber per slice
-Meijer brand egg beaters 30 cal/0 fat/ 0 fiber per 1/4 cup.

*An interesting side note: Neither English Muffins or Canadian bacon originated in those respective countries. They are both entirely made in the USA. Thanks, Food Network Channel!




I cooked up 1.5 cups of egg whites in a skillet while I split open the 6 muffins, topping each with 1 slice of Canadian bacon and 1 slice of cheese. Then I topped with 1/4 cup each of the scrambled egg whites. Wrapped up and stuffed in the freezer. Each sandwich is 220 calories/2.5 g fat/ 8 g of fiber which makes it 4 points, just like the WW sandwiches.

The total cost of the ingredients for muffin meal was $10.54. The cheese was $3.59 for a package of 16 slices, which makes it .23 per slice. The egg beaters were $2.39 for 7 servings and that was .34 per serving. The bacon was $2.59 for 7 slices, and was  .37 per slice. The muffins were $2 for 6 for .33 per serving. It was $1.27 per sandwich, or $7.62 for 6 of them. WW were $2.74 for 2 muffins or $1.37 per sandwich. By buying and making it myself I saved .10 a sandwich, or .60 a week.

That doesn't really sound like much, does it? I didn't use coupons and nothing was on sale, so that will be the most it will cost me. I will also probably eat this every day for many years (I actually ate the same flavor of Pop-Tarts every single day for 6 years. I still love them) so the savings down the road will be good.

I also had a WW anytime meal- mini cheeseburger for 4 points as well. So far that brings me up to 8 points spent, 20 left. I have to figure out how many points dinner will be.

I also bought some wool yarn for a Christmas gift, and some paraffin wax as well. I need to go pine cone hunting which was on my to-do list today but I sort of got side tracked with blogging. Whoops. That will be what I will do tomorrow, first thing. The wool yarn feels so good. I really need to stop rubbing it against my face and finish my crochet projects. There's only 5 weeks and 2 days until Christmas

I am freezing cold. I can't seem to get warm. I have on a sweatshirt and my robe (I know, classy!) My ankle is killing me today as well. Stupid weather.

1 comment:

  1. I feel you on the inability to keep warm! I've been drinking tea all day and just took 500mg of niacin, to help warm up from the inside out! It has to be due to this darn cold I'm fighting.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!