Friday, January 7, 2011

I got on the Scale and Treadmill today

So I got on the scale today and I am happy to see that I am back down to 215.6 (I was up to 217.2 on Wednesday)

What has changed? Well not a lot really. I still am not tracking much. I tracked beautifully on Wednesday and then not  at all on Thursday (I had a giant ass bacon cheeseburger-plain, a huge baked potato, and half of a ginormous Reese's mousse on a brownie covered in crumbled peanut butter cups and hot fudge) and here we are at Friday. I have been up almost two hours and haven't eaten yet. :(

I went to the gym because today was going to be THE DAY that I officially started my training for the River Rat Race on September 24, 2011. It is a 4 mile walk/run and I plan on running it. All of it.

I may have some lofty goals, especially since I am not a runner, I'm pretty clueless.

I anticipated being able to walk a mile in under 15 minutes. I was wrong. It took me 23 minutes to complete one mile. (2.5 mph speed, in case you are wondering)

I was going to do all 4 miles walking, no matter how long it took today. I was wrong. My knee decided to give out on me and I had to stop at one mile.


I want to run all of that race in 28 minutes. This number is from that one mile I ran on the elliptical in the summer and ran it in 7 minutes. I would love to get to that point on the treadmill. Thankfully I have until September to get to that speed.  Currently, it would have taken me 92 minutes to walk 4 miles

But- I went to the gym! Hurray! It's even cold and snowy outside- and I still went! I had to WALK in the snow, people! I went outside!! I walked a mile- even with a bad knee- and that is more than I have done lately. Afterward I felt so good (despite the searing pain) and I am proud of my 23 minute mile.

Well no, I'm not.

I'm proud I finished a mile. There. That sounds better.

I have also decided that until I get used to wearing my insoles and my knee gets better, that I will *not* be training for the race. No sense in making my knee worse. :(

Today was a test run (errr walk) and I now know where I am at. There is a lot of room for improvement. Which is good, because any improvement will be a success. It's a nice base line test.

Once it gets nicer outside, I plan to actually start running the trails we have here and at some point, graduate to the race course (which goes through downtown Fort Wayne) and continue to train on that. By the time September rolls around, I will be used to the course, used to the terrain, and the only thing that will be different is I will be running with 23,000 other people.

Day 1: complete :)

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting out there! The more you wear your orthodics, the more you'll adjust to it. It just takes some time. I've been that way as well. What helped me get over that phase faster were a great pair of hiking boots. It was uncomfortable for a while, but the ankle support helped me align everything quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The elliptical is designed to go easy on your knees while maximizing your cardio strength because you're not pounding your entire weight on your feet. It's much easier to go fast on an elliptical, so I wouldn't be disappointed if I were you. Comparing an elliptical workout to a treadmill run is like comparing apples and oranges. Don't be discouraged. You went for a mile. Start there and keep going. That's all you can do, and before you know it, you'll be running that mile, then the next.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!