Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Weigh In, 3 Weeks, and Other Noteworthy Things

First off, a weigh in!

Last week, I made the goal of tracking for 5 full days and earning 14 Activity Points! How did I do?
I tracked 4 and a half days!  (Even though there are 6 entries, there are not 6 full days. There are two half-days)
I earned 24 activity points!
I ate a lot of Weight Watchers meals. 
I still saw a gain on the scale. 

Which is, to say the least, discouraging.

I did all the "right" things this week. I worked out more than I usually do (by a lot!) and tracked a lot too. But I know there are things I did not track, even on the days I recorded. I know that on Saturday, when we had friends over, I ate a lot of things. Pizza. Cheese fries. Coke. Pastry. Enchiladas. To be fair, I didn't eat prior to them coming over, so it was like a mini-binge because I was so hungry. I am starting to recognize my body signals again. Am I really hungry? Am I just bored?

Starting weight: 237.5 
Weight Watchers Starting Weight: 230
Last week's weight: 216.8
This week's weight: 218.6 
Gain: 1.6 
Total lost since WW: 11.6
Total lost since SW:  18.9 
Thoughts: I have gained a total of 5.2 lbs from my lowest weight. When is it going to stop? Uhm, now.

This week's goals:

*Track every day. No matter what. Every bite. Even if I go over my points! 
*Get back in the habit of exercising every day. It's not so hard to do a 20 minute Zumba or a bike ride on my stationary. 
*If I am bored, find something constructive to do. I still need to finish the Lord of the Rings books. I can crochet. I can play with my dog as well. It's not hard to find something engaging.
*Track my hunger signals in eTools. It's there for a reason. I need to figure out if I am eating enough or too much. Sometimes I am hungry and only have a bite or two. Other times I am not hungry, but ravenous, and I eat way too much. 
* Do at least one strength training workout this week. 

That's a lot to do, so I am going to end up making daily lists and then ticking them off. It will make me feel better seeing what I accomplish each day.

Three weeks. Thats when I next see my chiropractor. He asked me how my knee was doing and I told him that it still hurts when I bear my full weight on my leg, or when I extend it fully (like when I am laying down) and when I am kneeling. (such as picking up doggy messes...) And then he said something that really irritated me. He said "Well your knee is 80% better. If you were wanting it to be 100% you would have to come in more. I will see you in three weeks." 

I asked him about this. If my knee still needs more work, why am I not coming in more? His reasoning is that it would be more money for me, and he isn't going to force me into it. I asked him how much more I would have to come in, and he couldn't give me an answer. Basically he is seeing me for my back and neck now (which don't bother me in the slightest) and he's stopped working on my knee since I got my orthotics. He told me they would take care of the issue. They have helped, but they haven't fixed it. 

So here is my train of thought. If I am paying him to fix my knee and he no longer wants to fix my knee, then why am I going? If I had "all the help I can get for now" then why am I going? I have never had any back problems. I went to him specifically for my knee, and now my knee issue has taken a backseat. This upsets me and I am not pleased at all with his answer. Remember, I pay $45 a visit out of pocket. Yeah, it's a lot of money. So I want the best care I can get for it. I would rather him work on my knee the whole time than adjust my back. It's like 20 minutes of back adjustments, 2 minutes of knee adjustment and then another 10-15 of him rambling on. 

It pisses me off. 

I have three weeks until I go back. I am going to do my knee exercises *religiously* until I go back. If I am still having issues, then I am not going to see him anymore. I will look into physical therapy. 

Three weeks. I know it would help to get weight off, exercise, and eat better. So that is what I am going to do. It's an experiment. I am not going to continue to pay someone for a service that they no longer think is necessary. It is bothersome that he works more on my back and when I bring it up, I don't get a logical answer. I don't see how going every three weeks will help my knee any. Even if it's once a week, its still three more times than I am going now! Wouldn't that be more helpful? And wouldn't actually *working* on my knee make my visits more productive? Its not like he is doing anything fancy. He is just rubbing the muscles in my leg and stimulating them and a couple of exercises. I can do these at home, and I can force ask Brian to do my massages. The massages are painful, yes. But necessary.

Truth be told, I don't have the money to go in again before the next appointment I have scheduled. I am using the money in our HSA for glasses. And yes, to me, eyesight is a little more important. Especially at this moment. I am still fuming from this if you can't tell. 

I figure that if I want my knee to get better, I have to do something proactive about it. Tired of being the passenger. It's time to get behind the wheel.

Oh and this is interesting. We ran into a little problem with Brian's new iPhone 3GS last night. The sim card is in a little tray, and you have to use a paper clip to pop the tray open. Kind of like if you want to reset a device, you have to use something small and pointy. Turns out, that it was broken. The catch wouldn't release and it was after AT&T closed so we couldn't go in and switch it. We called the Apple Support line and they suggested a pen or a toothpick (which broke off in the hole, then got pushed into the phone!) and after that didn't work, they told us to go to AT&T in the morning. Which is what we did. At the store, they tried the same methods (really?) and finally decided it was DOA and exchanged us a new phone. This took almost 45 minutes, but we didn't have to pay anything and they switched over his sim card in the store for us, just in case. Now he has his new phone all working and it's all sparkley and everything is right in the world.

To make matters worse! Max peed in the house last night. But it was my fault. I hadn't taken him out in a few hours. Normally he whines, but I guess he wanted to make a point? I yelled "Ah ah!!" Clapped at him and told him "Let's go outside!" He ran to the door and sat down and we clipped on the leash, ran down the stairs, and he peed outside. He really had to go. So 13 days of being accident free has ended. Now starting over. 

Now if you don't mind, I have to go take a nap. I got up really early, slept poorly, and I am exhausted from today's events.

4 comments:

  1. sorry for the weight gain. It's tough especially when you've been doing such a better job at tracking and exercising. I'm barely realizing how I can work out so hard and then throw it all away by eating chips and salsa.

    Hang in there and as for your visits to the chiro... I'd be pissed too. Glad you're makin him be accountable to your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. could be a lay over from week before you never know hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your knee. And try to get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you need a break -- meditation, vacation, whatever, just a way to get away from the stress.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!