Monday, February 7, 2011

The Shred- Day 3

Wow thanks to so many great responses, both on here and on Twitter! I've made some new friends over the past few days! 


Day 3 of the Shred:

Woke up this morning sore, kind of wanted to stay in bed all day until I had to work as is my norm, but I eventually got up. Max has taken it upon himself to be my personal cheerleader, and he does his job annoyingly well. He jumps on the bed and pushes his face into mine, sniffing at my ear and licking my face. When I respond by pulling the covers over my head he uses his paw to pull them off. Damn dog is too smart! I tell him "Mommy wants to sleep in!" But he just cocks his head at me and slaps me in the face with his paw. I tell him "That hurts Mommy, ow!" but of course, he isn't buying it, because it doesn't really hurt and I thought I was being clever and trying to trick him. He slaps me again and paces back and forth on the bed until I wake up.

Then its coffee and a light snack of string cheese for 4 points total. Outside with the dog for number twosies, and then time to turn on Shred.

I am not feeling it today, and Maxwell will not let me skip today. He looks at me with disapproving, big brown eyes and seems to say "It's your challenge..."

I turn it on and get it started. I grab the 3 lb weights. As I do the warm up and the jumping jacks, I see he is laying down near me, not close enough to get hit or stepped on, but close enough to let me know he is there. I look at him and he looks up, wags his tail, and does his doggy smile. I tell him next time he is doing the jumping jacks for me. He doesn't think so.

As we move into circuit one and it's time to hit the floor for abs, he stands up and comes over to where I am laying on the floor and pushes his face into mine. He gives me encouraging licks across the face, as I come up for each crunch. His tail is wagging. I can't help but smile, even though my abs are crying.

Circuit two is where I really get my "first wind" because this is where I start doing everything correctly. I concentrate on form, on breathing, and on squeezing the muscles. I start repeating the little mantras Jillian says.

"I want every second of this workout to count!"
"You are strong, you are capable of working out, and you are capable of working out hard!"

Circuit three though, this is where I really push myself. Here Jillian says "we do not get to the finish line and quit, we finish stronger than we started" and other such encouraging things.

I actually give it my all. I blast my heart rate up with the cardio, I do all of the strength training movements as much as I can, and I can almost- but not quite- finish all of the bicycle crunches.

After the cool down and guzzling as much water as possible, Max lets me know I did a good job by licking my face one more time and giving me a high five! He lets me catch my breath for a moment and then lets me know it's time to go out. He has to pee.

We go outside and I just wear a light jacket, despite the fact that it is February and there are 12" of snow still on the ground. I grab my gloves and we run and play in the snow as a cool down. Yeah, I wouldn't have believed it either a few days ago!

I'm left in better shape today than I was yesterday and I am kind of excited about tomorrow. I have never done 4 days in a row before, so this is the furthest I have gone. Tomorrow, I am officially pushing myself farther than I have ever before, which is exciting in and of itself!!

Last night was really great eating wise, I had 35 points for my meals and then Brian and I went out to get cookies. I had half of them (5 in case you are wondering) and it was 27 points. Which, of course, I ate greedily. In my haste, I had ripped off the nutritional information on the label so I had no idea how many points they were until I looked it up. I was going to guesstimate at 7 pts per, but it was actually 5 points per, unless you eat 5 in a row, then it is 27. Which made me happy because I still have 8 WPs left! Weee!!

Meals: 35 points
Snacks: 27 points
Total: 53 points
Weekly remaining: 8
Activity earned, prior to today: 12
Activity remaining: 12

Yay look at me! I'm such a bad ass!! Just two more days until Weigh in! I'm 10% done with the Shred, and I am going to continue to push myself just a little bit each day.

5 comments:

  1. Love love your breakdown of this workout.. I LOVE/HATE this workout, somehow it’s the shortest one I have in my collection and it always leaves me breathless, tired, and pumped at the same time!! Glad you’re enjoying it. I will always come back to this one, it’s a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! Just make sure you continue to eat those activity points you've earned. You want to stay away from getting starvation mode to kick in! As someone who used to net about 800 calories a day (w/ heavy work outs), it really worked in reverse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Jillian chick seems to say some good stuff. I should probably write those down so I can repeat them to myself when I workout. Working out takes brain power too. You and Jillian seem to have that going for you;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely love the humor you use in your writing. I'm kinda inspired and scared to try the 30 day shred. I'm so out of shape though. I've only been using the wii so far. It's great that you made it 3 days in a row.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!