Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wednesday: C25K Week 1 Redux

So its another running day. I absolutely am looking forward to getting my run on.

I saw this fantastic quote on Twitter from Running Quotes that my friend Lindsay retweeted...

"If you run, you are a runner...There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run" 


Which reaffirms exactly what I wrote about here- basically you are a runner if you are moving faster than usual.


All of this makes me feel good about myself. It isn't about races. It's not about pace, or distance, or miles (those things help!) it's about me. Doing this. For myself. Because I need to. Because I want to

And that is a very powerful feeling. To look at yourself in the mirror and say "You know what I want to do? I want to go running."

I've never said that out loud, ever. Until very recently. I mean- it's always been a secret dream of mine. Something I thought I could never do. The thought of running feels to me the same as the thought of flying. Oh how I would love to be able to fly! (wings, not airplanes) How exhilarating it must be. And that is how I felt about running for a long time. It was something impossible. It wasn't even a pipe dream. I just thought I never would be able to, due to the history with the ankle and all. 

Yes my ankle still aches. It will always ache. But it doesn't hurt any more. I am finally pushing past that and becoming myself again. I am a runner, dang it!!

So all of this rambling aside, you probably are wondering how I have done on C25K today, right? Well I haven't gone yet. Give me 45 minutes an hour. (Max had to go out, then he saw children and wanted to herd them and I wasn't having it, so he wasn't going potty because he didn't get his way, then we came in and he whined because there were still children to corral and he was upset with me so he sulked and went into his crate, but I was going to put him there anyway... so I win! HA!)

---~~-- C25K Stats --~~---

Time: 30 minutes
Distance: 3.67 miles 
Pace: 8:02 minutes/5k; 8:10 minutes/mile overall
Power song(s): Cascada- Evacuate the Dancefloor; Britney Spears- If U Seek Amy; Alkaline Trio- Every Thug Need a Lady; Cake- The Distance
Mood: Fantastic! Despite the fitness center being busy and full of big burly men (some of whom were sexy and some of whom were not) and me being the only girl there, I did not get off of the elliptical even though I wanted to run away. I made a promise to myself to do the full 30 minutes and I did it! I started feeling epic around minute 18 and that carried me through the rest of the way. 

One great thing (but also slightly annoying at the same time) was my pants kept falling down! They are officially too big. I am going to have to go find some new ones or learn how to take them in before Friday. 
I am sure I looked a loon holding my pants up while running. I had on my Spanx too, to help keep my butt from bouncing and I think it just made my pants fall off faster. Whoops!

I also couldnt find my normal shoes so I was wearing my shape ups which turned out to be a bad idea. My whole right foot fell asleep and then it started traveling up my leg. Usually just my toes fall asleep. Am I wearing the wrong kind of shoes? Am I wearing the wrong kind of socks? Am I doing something wrong.... running friends, help me out!


3 comments:

  1. The best thing I ever did for my feet was buy running shoes that were perfect for them. I have flat feet so I had to get a special pair of shoes. I went to a store called "A Snail's Pace." The people there are trained to know what kind of shoes will fit you best. You try on a pair, they watch you run, they fit your feet and in the end you're buying the perfect pair of shoes for your feet. I can't tell you what a huge difference that makes. I recommend doing some research to see if there are any similar stores our your way and going in person. If your feet are falling asleep in your shoes, that is NOT a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love a runner's high! :) It's addictive to do something you swore you couldn't do. You realize the ONLY thing in your way this whole time is, well, you. Once you get out of your own way - just about anything is possible! Afterall, flying is just falling and missing the ground. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I''m so impressed with you and I love your new photo on the right hand side of your blog, here. You are looking good, sister! : )

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!