Friday, June 3, 2011

Just How Old Are You?

So I don't know who's toes I stepped on this week, but apparently, every one feels the need to respond super childishly.

The day that I had sold my iPhone on eBay I got a call from a number I didn't recognize. I don't answer those. I don't answer unless it's family, anyway, even if I know you. So I let it ring. A few minutes later, I get a voicemail. So I listen to it, and it starts off like it would be from somebody I know.

"Hey Christie, sorry I haven't hit you back girl..." but it kept going on and on. It was obviously a prank call, as the person knew my name, but things mentioned in the voicemail were very sporadic, and a little lewd. He had mentioned several times he wouldn't let me suck his c**k unless I was a stripper. Or something to that effect. He sounded drunk and/or high, and like a thug. Someone I don't know.

I laughed, said "what the hell?" and played it over again. I deleted it. Whatever.
Now I know people are apt to make prank phone calls, and that it's usually to get under the skin of the person who they are calling... but it sort of loses that effect when you have to leave a voice mail instead of talking to the person directly. After all... I didn't get angry, call them a douche bag, or get all flustered.... because I got a message. I deleted it and had a good laugh. I'm sure it was someone I had known who originally had the idea but then made their friend do it. But it was a Michigan number, and I don't know anyone in Michigan.

Then yesterday, as we were leaving to do some errands, Crazy German Neighbor was driving in the complex. She saw us in our car and stuck out her tongue and put her finger down her throat, in a very obvious "you-make-me-want-to-gag" sort of way.

Brian and I just looked at each other and laughed, said what the hell, and went about our day.  We never did anything to this lady at all, except move across the building complex because she was harassing us on a daily basis.

My point being: why do people feel they need to act out like they are 5 years old? What satisfaction are you gaining from prank phone calls, or sticking your tongue out? Why go out of your way to let someone know you dislike them? It takes so much more energy to act that way, when in reality, all it does is make you look like a fool.

I have a theory, and it's a good one... they obviously have way too much time on their hands. Not that I am the busiest person either, but I think I spend my down time a little differently.

To me it's one of those moments where you look at life and all you can think is "wow, that's kind of messed up" and then you just go about your day. I don't understand the logic, but then again, you can't argue with crazy, so it's best to just let it slide. It is funny however, that it happened twice in the same week. So I can't help but wonder... who sh*t in their corn flakes? Maybe it was me. I don't know how I would manage to do that, not seeing anyone outside of my apartment/family, but you never know. I may have deeply offended someone with my absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!