Friday, November 4, 2011

Emotions

Last night, we were watching Biggest Loser season 11. They were showing the eliminated contestant and how they were doing. One part of the segment had a little boy on it, saying how proud he was of his father and how much he looked up to him now. The kid couldn't have been older than 7.

I look over at Brian and he has his head in his hands. At first, I thought he had a head ache but then I realized he was shaking..he was crying.

I asked him what was wrong. "Nothing....nothing's wrong." He didn't want to talk about it any, but I didn't let up. I kept asking him if something had happened. "It's just... I'm going to be a father. I am so happy. I can't wait."

Then he put his head on my shoulder, and his hand on my belly. Drake pushed against him. Brian sobbed harder. "I hope I am a good father."

"You're already a great father. You know how I know? 8 months ago, we didn't want kids. Now, you point out babies to me and tell me how excited you are. You cry when you see little boys mention how proud they are. You are a fantastic husband. There is no doubt in my mind."

We sat like that for a while. Him, with tears flowing down his cheeks. Me, with a big goofy grin on my face.

They say a woman becomes a mother when she becomes pregnant. A man becomes a father when he holds his child for the first time. To me, Brian just proved them wrong.


I couldn't be luckier.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful moment. And YES he's already one of those dads that a kid can be proud of because he's following his dreams! He's not "settling" for a job that makes money. I'm sure there are jobs that he could get that make more. But life isn't about money. It's about making the most of the time we have and taking care of those we love. Brian's doing all of that, from where I sit. He's got this daddy - as a living example - thing nailed.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!