Sunday, November 6, 2011

Soda Cleanse

Eat This, Not That! has changed our lives... hopefully for the better.

Because of that little book, Brian's decided to nix soda completely. Usually it's me who tries to get us to kick the soda habit. Brian's never wanted to... but now he wants to.

In Eat This, Not That!, they mention that the average American consumes enough soda to pack on an additional 22 lbs of weight each year. I believe it! I also believe we drink way more soda than the average American.

For instance, we are currently drinking 8- 2 liters of soda a week. Between the two of us. That's about 4 each. Each 2 liter has six servings and ranges from 140-180 calories per serving, depending on the brand. We'll go with 180.

So each bottle of soda contains 1,080 calories. One thousand eighty empty calories. It takes me approximately 2 days to get through a 2 liter. And that means I have about 3.5 a week, but let's just round it up to 4. 4 bottles/week x 1,080/bottle = 4,320 calories a week.

There are roughly 3,500 calories in a pound. That means I am consuming roughly 1.25 pounds worth of soda each and every week. That is roughly 5 pounds a month. 


You all remember your times tables right? Yeah me too, so it didn't take me long to figure out that 5 pounds a month easily translates into 60 pounds a year. In soda. (which is almost TRIPLE what the typical American consumes)

UGH

Amazing how even though I knew soda was bad for me, I didn't realize what I could potentially be doing to myself with it. So we are going cold turkey, Brian's orders! I've started chugging water like nobody's business because I want to flush my system out and hopefully get over the withdrawal symptoms quicker....

That's the main reason we haven't quit drinking soda. We can't 'deal' with the withdrawal. It's too haaard. But I know once I get past the first 2 or 3 days, I feel so much better. So I'll just have to tough it out.

Pregnant woman + caffeine headache = watch out!

Wish us luck.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on such a big step! When I lost a lot of weight before I was off soda and caffeine. I, too, haven't had soda for several weeks now. I do have some around and may have one if I decide to make an alcoholic drink, but haven't since I want to avoid the cals as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! It'll feel so much better (and you get to a point where soda doesn't taste good anymore too). Kicking soda will change your taste buds! There are lots of less sweet drinks you can keep around - Walmart has great sugar free flavor packets for water that are 5-0 calories. I'm a HUGE tea drinker too. It's a good way to get some caffine as well if you need a little kick.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!