Thursday, May 24, 2012

Comfortably Numb

The teething continues on here. For the most part, (and other moms are readying their pitchforks at this) it's been pretty easy. Now that I know what he is getting fussy about, it's easy to fix. His tooth has pushed all the way through the gum line in 3 days, so this seems a short process...

An anecdote for you:

Sunday we took baby Drake over to my parents for the day. Except I forgot his diaper bag. I had filled it with diapers, wipes, formula, you know the usual things... oh, and his baby orajel for his tooth. So I was thinking I was SOL but we ran down to Wal-Mart to pick up the bare essentials. And more baby Orajel. Teething moms know, ORAJEL IS ESSENTIAL at this stage.

Here is the interesting part: we forgot to put Max in his crate. He's a very good dog usually, but he has been known to have his .... issues when we leave him left out. The couch took a beating. My clothes took a beating. But we weren't going to be gone long...

We come home and I can't find the orajel ANYWHERE. I bought 2 tubes at Wal-Mart, plus the one we already had. I had no idea where any of them went.

Max got into it. Apparently, cherry flavor means "gotta eat it all" in dog language. Let's just say that by the time the sensation's worn off in his mouth, it will have made its way to his other end... I wasn't sure if he would get sick from it, but he turned out okay.

Drake simultaneously laughs and cries when he sees the orajel. He loves how it makes his mouth feel but hates the taste of it. I laugh every time because if I don't, I'll cry too. He has no interest in frozen washcloths or water-filled teething toys. He does like this bug one, so that is good. Mostly he just chomps on his fingers and then cries it hurts. I keep explaining to him that "fingers aren't toys" but he is still trying to figure that one out.

He actually bit (or scratched? not sure which) his lip and it bled and bled and he had blood all over his face and clothes and Brian was all OMG WHAT HAPPENED and I kept my cool.

Brian keeps asking me all these questions. "What age do all their teeth come in?" and "when does such and such happen?" I don't have the answers. I tell him to go look it up, and he replied with "you're a mom, aren't you supposed to know everything?" hah, zing. "I do not know everything, but I know one thing: How to use GOOGLE!" So ha! Take that.

Brian's been treating me extra special lately. I got my engagement ring cleaned and inspected at the store. He's been letting me get much needed sleep. He goes on walks with me. He does things without me asking (like dishes!) I cannot get over how much more helpful and sweet he is being to me. I really am very lucky. I told him just the other day that I was really feeling a little undervalued because he didn't get me anything for Mother's Day or our anniversary, and how much that really upset me that he didn't do that or anything even slightly romantic, so he responded with flowers, cards, and dishes. :)

Father's Day is coming up and I am trying to think of what to get him "from Drake" to make his first one special. Brian's birthday is coming up too, so I gotta figure out what I will get him for that, too. So much to do, so little time. I really to make it special. I've got some ideas in my head but the most challenging part (as always) is to somehow procure the items without him knowing. It sucks that I can't drive.

Anyway, if you have any cool ideas for a geeky gadget sort of Dad and gift ideas (that aren't super expensive) let me know.

1 comment:

  1. little teethers dissolving pills work great for teething pain and discomfort as well. i found that those worked better than orajel for my son.
    ~RustiAnn
    www.texasgirlgettinfit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!