Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Happy Squeals!!

Okay it's been a great couple days. GREAT.

Firstly: We got our tax return back and we were able to pay off 3 credit cards in full AND we put $500 in emergency savings fund AND we gave ourselves a bit of run around money. We are also making our last payment to Best Buy this month and that will be our 4th card. That saves us $200 a month :) That's an extra car payment, guys. It's just gone. All those payments. Poof. Out the window. There isn't any more high interest debt either. We got rid of every card  balance over 15%. AND IT FEELS GREAT. The psychological boost from getting rid of it is such a high. It's euphoric. A runner's high has NOTHING on a recently-paid-off-debtor's high. And I know, as I've had both.

Second: I went to the gym last night and I am soooore today. I am okay with the fact that I gained 2 lbs back during my 2-week hiatus from the gym, it will come off soon. I set the incline on the treadmill to 10 and walked uphill for half an hour as well as doing a bit of ab and arm work. Oww. Calorie counting is such a paaaain. I hate it. But I have to do it. So that brings me to ....

Third: I got to go grocery shopping. At the store. By myself. Ahhh I think I just orgasmed. It was so amazing to go somewhere ALONE and without hubby and the baby. I had a field day!!

Here's what I bought:

Salad greens
Spinach
Celery
Carrots
Tomatoes
Green pepper
Strawberries
Bananas
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Mushrooms
Lemon
Lime
Onion
Garlic
Ground beef
Ground turkey
Chicken
Whole wheat tortillas
Low fat cheese
Fat free greek yogurt
1% milk
Eggs
Whole wheat bread

If you looked in my cart you would have freaked at how much fresh food there was. I know I was freaking out a little bit. Especially since those things in italics are things I never buy. I bought BANANAS. Holy crap. I don't even like bananas. I use them in smoothies (1/2 per pitcher) for creaminess and extra nutrition, but I really don't like the taste of them.

I am trying really hard now to eat more mindfully, not only for myself but for Drake. He's starting to notice what we eat, and I want him to reach for things that are good for you, not a slice of pizza.

I'm also really proud of Brian. He quit drinking soda when he went to the dentist and they told him what it does to your teeth. I have not been helping though. I love my diet soda and it's terrible I know. I decided I was going to start supporting my husband and our healthy lives so I am done with it too, forever. It's a psychological addiction now. I don't even care about the caffeine, I just like having it to have it and that is a classic sign that it's time to give it up. Also, he lost 6 lbs this month just by giving up diet soda.

I didn't buy anything pre-packaged or any frozen meals or snacks. I did buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts, but that was it. Everything else is getting made by scratch this week. It is so exciting!!

Tonight we are having meatloaf and stuffing both are going to be packed with veggies, and a side salad. I am so excited I can hardly wait! I'm wriggling in my seat.

YAY US!


3 comments:

  1. That is incredible! SO proud of you. We recently paid off our first student loan and it felt amazing! And your groceries choices are superb my dear. Definitely superwoman of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to read this! And best of all, I see that you GOT OUT ON YOUR OWN and ENJOYED IT! Way to go!

    I still drink the occasional diet soda, but now, it's a "treat" to satisfy my sweet tooth instead of buying candy at a movie, or something like that. You can still HAVE it, just not every day. ;)

    Welcome back to the healthy bandwagon! It's a good place to be!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT. You know you have an opinion, air it!